Recent Fire Damage Posts

Fires Caused by Household Appliances

4/19/2023 (Permalink)

close up photo of an oven and dishwasher SERVPRO of Grinnell & Pella has the expertise to restore properties following a fire.

Although convenient, many household appliances can often malfunction and lead to home or apartment fires. Whether it be a washer and dryer, stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, or other cooking appliances, these items are used routinely and help our lives, but can also have detrimental effects if used carelessly, left unattended or malfunctioning. SERVPRO of Grinnell & Pella can be there to restore a commercial or residential property following fire and smoke damage and is always Here to help. To prevent a possible fire due to a household appliance and protect your property, here are three things you can do.   

  1. Never leave heated cookware on overnight such as crockpots. Use of these appliances should be supervised in case of a heating element or wiring malfunction. 
  2. Never leave an appliance running while away. Coming home to clean dishes from the dishwasher may sound nice after being away, but electrical issues may stem from heating elements which can cause fire.  
  3. Do not overload your washer or dryer, and always make sure to clean out the lint trap.